ARE YOU HOLDING YOUR CARDS TOO CLOSE TO YOUR CHEST?
I was, and I missed the boat. Don’t do the same.
These last few weeks i’ve been stumbling around for some inspiration, and it had me thinking I was in a turmoil of writers block for a non writer. Thoughts start creeping in and tell you that you’re not good enough, but no no, hold up girlfriend you sit right back down because you’re soo wrong.
I was totally stumped as to why I was feeling this way, and it was only Monday night when I was having a conversation with a friend and the topic of keeping your cards close to your chest came up. Which i’ve heard many times before, and been on the receiving end of this comment multiple times. But it clicked then and there. It’s true, I had been holding my cards way too close to my chest for far too long, and sometimes, just sometimes, those emotions build up a wall so high that you can get stuck inside and be momentarily forced to a halt. If you’re nodding your head at the screen then I think you probably know what i’m talking about.
The thing about walls going up, is that we completely deflect many beautiful emotions, people, ideas, love, and comfort ourselves inside a protective barrier. Every now again that can feel a little lonely and brainwash our thoughts with everything you really don’t want to be thinking about, or have time for right?
So, is not allowing people in to your sacred space out of fear of getting hurt? fear of rejection? or quite possibly the fear of success? Well it’s a combination of all. But let’s knock those walls down today, step outside your comfort zone, and have some fun instead!
21 THINGS YOU CAN DO TODAY TO LET YOUR WALLS DOWN
1. Tell someone you love them that you haven’t for a long time or have never.
2. Message or call a friend and let them know how grateful you are to have them in your life.
3. Write a friend a letter, and post it! yes, handwritten, you know, with a pen? remember those?
4. If you’ve been too shy or scared to express yourself, or tell someone something you really want to, then today is your day to get it out there! because really, you’ve got nothing to lose but the time you’re wasting not doing so.
5. Write your thoughts in to a journal, especially if you can’t sleep. If you really don’t want to share, write it down, you’ll feel better afterwards.
6. Do a random act of kindness for a stranger, and expect nothing in return. Such as, buy the next person’s in line coffee without them knowing. Buy a homeless person some lunch or dinner, fresh water, or a blanket. Get creative and think outside the box. You’ll makes someone else’s day.
7. Smile at every person you cross paths with today.
8. Ask people how they are, and genuinely give a shit and listen to their response.
9. If someone asks you how you are, be honest, and if you’re crap, don’t lie by saying you’re good.
10. If you feel sad, be sad. If you’re angry, be angry. Then let it go, allow yourself 5-10 minutes to feel your emotions, then move on with your day.
11. Send a friend flowers to their work or house.
12. Send a random home address balloons and hope like hell that they don’t have globophobia (balloon phobia).
13. Hug your parents, and tell them you love them.
14. Make a donation to your favourite charity.
15. Adopt an animal from an animal shelter.
16. Randomly visit your bestie or book a surprise trip to visit her!
17. Too caught up in being an introvert? Book a random trip/retreat adventure solo. You’ll have the most amazing time making new friends.
18. Forgive. Even if deep down you don’t. Faith it until to make it. Forgiveness is releasing a feeling you no longer wish to hold on to that is doing you an injustice by not letting go.
19. Message a friend Good morning, and wish them a beautiful day.
20. Say yes to that coffee catch up with the friend you weren’t sure you could sit with for an hour without any awkward silences. You might be surprised! plus you can never have too many friends.
21. Spread the love, share the love, and expect nothing in return.
Let me know what you do in the comments below and don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter so you don’t miss a beat.
If you’re a happy snapper, share something/someone you are truly grateful for today on Instagram and tag me in your photos so I can see. @biancaromeo 🙂
Are we connected on Social Media?